Monday, March 2, 2009

BUNNYS HOPPING IN THE SNOW

Second hut trip of the season. Picked up Kathy Thursday night and we drove west into the mountains. Having company on the drive made the time fly by. I dropped her off in Carbondale while I continued on and parked at a turn off along Castle Creek Road, Aspen a few miles away. No party tonight as I was tired and knew I had to exert myself the following morning.

Friday morning I met others at the Hunter Creek trail head and we began the six mile, 2000 foot skin up to the McNamara Hut. It's always an excruciating experience for me, one foot in front of the other, climbing, climbing, climbing. I eventually reach the hut and can drop my load.

Once everyone arrived at the hut, a few of us head out to climb Bald Knob. I was already tired and this climb exhausted me. But it was worth it because there was a foot of powder on the slopes leading down to the hut and we carved one beautiful turn after the other.

A marvelous dinner, an evening of drinking wine and tequila and after people began checking into bed, it was time for my late night concert outside on the deck of the hut. The outdoor temperature was somewhere hovering above 0 degrees Fahrenheit. No problem, that tequila fired power plant in my belly kept me warm long enough to enjoy the nearly two hours of music.

First up was Echo & The Bunnymen, a show recorded by the BBC during the band's concert at the Liverpool Empire Theater on January 11, 1988 and broadcast on BBC Radio 1's In Concert program on January 16, 1988. Excellent sound, the band playing at their peak. At the end of 1988, Ian McCulloch left the band to pursue a solo career, while the rest decided to continue without the lead singer. Tragedy hit the band in the summer of 1989 when Pete de Freitas, their drummer, was killed in an auto accident. The Bunnymen were silent for the following 8 years.

Distant suns burning
Shine in the cold winter's night
Diamonds in the sky

Ten thousand feet high
Liquor fueled rocket ascends
Reaches for the stars

Download it here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/96220718/_1991__Echo___The_Bunnymen_-_BBC_Radio_1_Live_In_Concert__1988_.rar

EATB warmed up the stage for the main act of the evening, Van Halen who kicked ass at the Selland Arena in Fresno, CA on May 14 & 15, 1992, recorded live during the 1992 "Carnal Knowledge" tour. An excellent soundboard recording that was broadcast in August of 1992 as part of the "Cabo Wabo Rock Radio Festival". It was an invigorating shock to go from EATB's dark swirling fusion of gloomy post-punk and Doors-inspired psychedelia to Van Halen's big rock sound led by Eddie's magic guitar and Sammy's shout-out vocals. I was trippin under the stars, dancing to the music!

The show ended at midnight, having listened to only disc one of a two CD set. I knew I'd be getting up early when others rose to prepare breakfast. Went into the darkened hut and dropped immediately into a deep, dreamless sleep.

Time to go outside
A full flask in his gloved hands
Steps over the edge

Fiery descent
Blue sparks cross the twilight sky
Life's sudden ending

No comments: