Monday, March 10, 2008

YOU REALLY GOT ME!


What the hell is going on? I’ve listened to VH since their revolutionary first album shook the airways in 1978, yet it was only this past half-year that their music has assumed a disproportional influence on my life. Thinking about it, wanting it, needing it. I knew I was hooked when I played their music, LOUD, on the truck stereo in that snowy parking lot at Loveland a year ago, making a vow then and there to see them. It was confirmed when a short time later they announced (then immediately postponed) their 2007 tour with DLR at the helm. The hook embedded itself deeper in me when I purchased tickets to see them in Portland. I intentionally pushed it deeper when I began psyching myself up for that trip to Oregon. I rocketed to the stars when I actually saw them live. That only led to deciding to see them again in Denver. A quick search on the web resulted in finding a treasure trove of their bootleg recordings, "new" music that kept it all going. My "party on the pass" weekends include the intoxicating combination of good music, a good cigar, fine tequila, being in a beautiful location and the anticipation of a great day skiing. Like Ivan Pavlov’s dogs salivating when they heard a bell, hearing big rock party band Van Halen has always and will continue to trigger feelings of "good times". To some outside observer it may have the appearance of being in love. Whatever it is, it strikes a chord deep within me that I must feed. I don’t fully understand why it is this way, but I decided a long time ago that I’d rather let it consume me and see where it all leads. You only live once, so let those passions boil over and enjoy it while it lasts!


No comments: