Sunday, April 20, 2008

I CAN'T DRIVE 55

I spent a good portion of Saturday in the office, using the drive to and from to listen to a new CD, a sort of "best of" collection of Sammy Hagar's solo career. A lot of sweet tunes. While driving through Parker on the way home I pulled alongside a Douglas County sheriff's patrol car stopped at a red light, making sure I had "I Can't Drive 55" playing at top volume. The light turns green, and I stomp the gas peddle, making sure I top off at 40 mph, the speed limit on that street. But I was way ahead. Stopped at the liquor store to buy a BIG bottle of tequila for tonight's concert.




The warm up act was a visit to Donnington Castle in England where Van Halen appeared on August 18, 1984. An excellent audience bootleg recording. Dave was particularly chatty and the band was playing really tight that night. A great concert. There was alot of audience chatter as well, making me feel as though I was there sitting behind drunk Brits a few rows from the stage. A beautiful night for a concert, the air being cool with a full moon overhead burning through thin high clouds.



I took pleasure knowing that as I stood outside that night, Van Halen was simultaneously playing at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Eddie leaves rehab
Blood alcohol levels down
While fans booze it up

Rested and ready
Eddie's back up on the stage
Knocks us off our feet

"We are here to listen to one of the greatest bands in history. It is my honor to introduce you to VAN HALEN!"These words came courtesy of golf legend Tiger Woods as he announced the band at Tiger Jam XI, a fundraising event April 19 at Mandalay Bay Events Center that helped raise more than $1.5 million for the Tiger Woods Foundation.

The main event for the evening was a trip to Japan, to see "Van Hagar" live in the Tokyo Dome on February 1, 1989. A really hot concert with Sammy in the lead. One of these days I'll figure out how to hook the HD tv to the living room stereo to really make it sound as loud as a real life concert. The boys were jumping around the stage, played very well and were obviously enjoying themselves. All this emphasizes what I missed by not having seen them in concert years ago when they were in their prime. The music and DVDs are a way of making up for those lost opportunities.


No comments: